Friday 14 January 2011

Be Inspiried - It Gets Better

Image from The Parenting Magazine
Recently I came across a news article about a state of suicides in America by young people in high school and college after suffering bullying because they were or perceived to be gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgendered. 
It made headline news in America but I never saw anything about it on the BBC. However The American author, journalist and newspaper editor Dan Savage created a website in response to these terrible events.
Savage who is openly gay created a website called It gets Better. It was created in response to the suicide of 15 year old Billy Lucas, who was bullied for his perceived sexual orientation.
This project encourages adults, both LGBT and otherwise, to submit videos assuring gay teenagers that life can improve after bullying in early life.

Bullying can be a terrible thing and it's victims can suffer serious psychological damage that can take years to undo. I myself have been bullied. The way I dealt with it may not be the healthiest but I survived. I simply retreated within myself, put my head down, and studied hard because I knew education would get me the hell away from those people. I knew my life was going in a different direction and I was determined to leave them all behind. I suppose it was one of the driving forces behind my leaving my country and why I would never go back unless kicking or screaming in a body bag. I know I am bitter, and I can admit it. It's also why my circle of friends is very small and why of all my friends, I only have one who is from my country, and that enough thank you very much. If I wanted to hang out with my fellow countrymen I would have stayed in the country (NB: I didn't say MY country. It was never my country and I was made to feel I didn't belong by everyone outside of my family)

Anyway I think I survived because I was arrogant and developed a thick skin and I told myself I would never give up because that would mean they won. And I would be damned if I let them win. So I had a look at Dan's website and  I was very impressed. There are ordinary men and women in society of all ages and even a few celebrities and out gay British MP giving encouragement to young LGBT boys and girls who are having a tough time. Many of the testimonials are emotional because they bring back old memories and wounds. But it is also cathartic. As for me I can say that where I am in my life now and where I was then IT DOES GET BETTER! :-)

Support this project and post a video of yourself giving advice. After all the life your words can save may be closer than you think.

Get involved and check out these sites:

US Based and International audience:
British Based:

Visit http://www.bullying.co.uk/ The Anti- Bullying Charity - Help and advice for victims of bullying their parents and school

Visit http://www.kidscape.org.uk/parents/ - Helpline support and advice for parents of bullied children

Visit http://www.outzone.org/ - to find out more about PACE LGBT youth group
  • Outzone -a relaxed, weekly group for young men under 26 who identify as gay or bisexual or think they might be.  
  • Girl Diva - Girl Diva is a friendly & informal weekly group for lesbian, bisexual, queer, pansexual & questioning young women aged 25 and under.
  • First Move - Coming along to First Move for LGBT under 18's is a great way to meet people and make friends in a safe and supportive place.
PACE Helpline: Email: pace.helpline@pacehealth.org.uk
Phone: 0808 1807 223 (Mon 9:30am-12:30pm & Thurs evening 6:30pm-8:30pm)

Visit www.gmfa.org.uk/theguide/browse - to find out more about LGBT sporting clubs and social group

Visit http://www.llgs.org.uk/ - London Lesbian & Gay Switchboard (LLGS) provides an information, support and referral service for lesbians, gay men, bisexual, trans people and anyone who needs to consider issues around their sexuality.  Helpline 0207 837 7324



2 comments:

  1. Good post. A great insight into your own experiences, and I think that signposting people on to useful resources is also one of the most constructive uses of a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! And I like the writing style. I've got to up my ante, lol. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete